Subject: Attribute validity times

Dear WG

I dont know if this issue has already been discussed before by the group
(I suspect it might have), but we have the following problem.

The java interface to our PDP includes validity times for each subject
attribute. This allows attribute assertions (SAML, X.509 etc) to be
validated once in our  validation software (a time consuming process
especially if they are signed) and then used many times for multiple
decisions by the PDP.

We have added an XACML request context interface to our PDP, but now
when the attributes are converted into XACML subject attributes, we lose
the validity times that our validation software has extracted and placed
alongside each attribute value.

We could produce a "hack" workaround by adding an addition validity time
attribute to the set of subject attributes, but in the general case each
subject attribute can have different validity times, especially when
attribute assertions are obtained from multiple attribute authorities.

If the group has discussed this topic, what was your conclusion

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184