Subject: Re: [xacml] New core and multiple resource profile

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the careful review. See responses inline.

Rich.Levinson wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> I just went over the changes to multiple resource profile and have the
> following questions:
>
>    1. Section 2.4.3, line 186: Should this say "The Context Handler
>       MUST construct ..."? i.e. it would have to in order to be
>       consistent w the other sections, since this is higher level and
>       includes those sections conceptually - lines 196-198.

Yes, this should be the same, if not for any reason that users would be
confused about what the difference is. So, I agree with you, change
"PDP" to "context handler".

>    1. Section 2.4.3, lines 190-191: This says that the <Attributes>
>       elements in the generated Request must be in the same order as
>       what? The order of the <AttributesReference> elements in the
>       RequestReference? Assuming so, main question here is whether
>       there is any significance to this order. i.e. does it matter in
>       an ordinary request what order the Attributes elements, each
>       with a different Category come in?

Yes, you are right. It doesn't really matter in 3.0. It would have
mattered in XACML 2.0, where XPath expressions can span the entire
request context. I was mentally in the mode of not tripping over XPath
ambiguities. We could drop this requirement.

>    1. Section 2.4.3, lines 192-194: I am confused by this paragraph.
>       It says: "If ..., there MUST be exactly one Response ...". My
>       impression is that it is always true that there must be one
>       Response for everything in the original Request, and that if the
>       original Request is broken up into multiple individual Requests
>       by the ContextHandler, that then each of those individual
>       Requests will produce one or more Results and all the Results
>       from all the individual Requests will be packaged into one
>       Response. It also seems to say this as an after thought on line
>       198-199. It would probably be better, if that is what is
>       intended to state this at the beginning and not piece it
>       together along the way.

I just wanted to be clear on this point, since we are constructing
multiple new <Request> elements, so someone could think of that there
will be multiple <Response> elements as well. I think the text is good
as it is.

>    1. Finally, I have a question on correlation of Results to
>       RequestReferences. The RequestReference uses the xml:id as we
>       all agreed to identify each Attributes element involved with the
>       RequestReference. So, how now are we supposed to correlate the
>       to have dropped out of the picture without any clear resolution.
>       It would seem possible with xml:id, that possibly each
>       RequestReference could have its own xml:id and that this xml:id
>       could be put in the Result element by the ContextHandler while
>       it is constructing the Response.

The responses are correlated with IncludeInResult="true" on some
attribute. In some cases the attribute may be "artificial" if there is
no natural unique id already.