Subject: Re: FW: [xacml] Groups - Export Control - U.S. (EC-US)

John,

See inline.

Tolbert, John W wrote:
> Replies inline...
>

>> Section 2.2, about subject nationality: It uses "RECOMMENDED" for the
>>
> use of ISO country codes. Maybe this should be MUST to make it more
> interoperable?
>
> JT: We had thought that it might be better to leave it up to
> implementers to decide if they should use 2- or 3-letter country codes.

I think it would be better to make the choice in the spec.

>> Also, it's unclear to me whether the "nationality" attribute lists only
>>
> those nations where the subject is currently a citizen, or all
> nationalities the subject has possessed. It doesn't say the latter, but
> I am asking because there is also a "current-nationality". What's the
> difference? Is the difference that current nationality is single valued
> while "nationality" may be multi valued. But then, why would the most
> recently assigned nationality be special?
>
> JT:  Current nationality is used for EAR; all nationalities are
> considered for ITAR.  We would expect that all nationalities would be
> returned in a bag of attribute values for ITAR decisions.

This doesn't quite answer my question. Consider the following example
(not sure if this would actually work with these countries, so it's
hypothetical only):

George was born in Vietnam and became a Vietnamese national at birth.
When he was 3 years old, he moved to Spain and when he became an adult,
he acquired Spanish citizenship and revoked his Vietnamese citizenship.
Later he moved to the UK and aquired a UK citizenship as well, but kept
his Spanish citizenship.

As the text is written, my interpretation is that in this case the
attributes for him would be:

nationality = {spain, uk}
current-nationality = {uk}

Is this correct? Vietnamese does not show up anywhere, right? If so, I
propose that current-nationality to be renamed to
"most-recent-nationality-acquired".

BTW, it would be nice to include an example such as this in the profile.

>> 2.2.5: what is the definition of a "US person". Maybe you can refer to
>>
> some EC law which defines it?
>
> JT:  See http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/744.pdf

Could you refer to this document in the spec?

>> General: Would it be good if there were some general text which
>>
> explains why these attributes are sufficient and/or useful for the
> purposes of export control?
>
> JT: See http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/exportingbasics.htm.  This is a
> really good resource.

Perhaps a non-normative reference for "more reading" at this link would
be good to include?