Subject: RE: [xacml] Planning the work of the TC

Paul/Hal -- Not sure my message will get to the list as I am an observer, but I do have some requests for the group to consider. Please relay to the group if they seem reasonable to you . . .

Support for inspection of target metadata and/or actual query results during rule processing;

Don't know how to put this exactly, but some consideration of how the target resource is characterized.  From what I have seen.some big rule sets are bug because they try to include specifc rules per target URL, vs. rules aimed at more general metadata characterizing the legal or policy nature of the target. This is probably mostly out of scope for this TC, but someone has to address it.  We have developed a largish ruleset (in pseudocode) that expresses the Privacy Act and other laws/regs applicable to info handling in our (homeland-security) space, which may illustrate the problem.

(Did anything get organized in the way of an informal meeting at Burton Catalyst in this week?  I am headed out there today and would like to participate if possible.)

Thanks,

martin

Martin F. Smith
Branch Chief, National Security Systems
DHS/I&A/IM
202 447-3743 desk
202 441-9731 cell
888 272-3610 pager

________________________________

From: xacml-return-1458-martin.smith=dhs.gov@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of Tyson, Paul H
Sent: Tue 7/28/2009 8:37 AM
To: Harold Lockhart; xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

The AZ API is a good thing to work on.  It will make it easier for 3rd-party software vendors to make their products work with XACML.  We implemented a special-purpose version, so we'll review the submission for points of similarity and difference.

If you're asking for other Big Things the TC could work on, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Revive the effort to map XACML policy language to a standard rule language.  There is an old document at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/11929/access_control-xacml-3.0-generalization-spec-wd-03.doc <https://connect.dhs.gov/committees/download.php/11929/,DanaInfo=www.oasis-open.org+access_control-xacml-3.0-generalization-spec-wd-03.doc> .  With the imminent release of RIF (http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/RIF_Working_Group <https://connect.dhs.gov/2005/rules/wiki/,DanaInfo=www.w3.org+RIF_Working_Group> ) it is a good time to consider the feasibility and benefits of standard mechanisms for 1- or 2-way mapping between XACML and RIF.

2. Consider formalisms for linking XACML to RDF/OWL at both abstract and concrete levels.  I see at least 2 aspects:
    a. Produce a XACML ontology in RDF/OWL
    b. Standards or guidelines for mapping XACML attribute ids to RDF Properties

The linkage to RDF/OWL would enable integration of XACML systems with enterprise ontologies, and allow use of web-wide standard ontologies for non-enterprise-specific attributes.  A SPARQL endpoint (or several) would be a particularly elegant implementation of a PIP.  This approach might answer some of the use cases addressed by the AMF proposal.

--Paul