Subject: AW: [xacml] Category vs XPathCategory

Hi Erik,

thanks for this clear presentation of the issue.
If I may add two remarks/questions:

1:
If the AttributeSelector would have it's RequestContextPath Attribute as
Child element, this sort of special treatment (i.e. the Category Attribute
within the AttributeSelector) could be avoided.
You could simply use the <AttributeValue> approach:
e.g.:
<AttributeSelector xmlns:si="http://example.com/subject-inf";
MustBePresent="true" DataType="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";>
  <AttributeValue
DataType="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:data-type:xpathExpression"
XPathCategory="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:attribute-category:resource"
xmlns:si="http://example.com/subject-inf";>
    si:SubjectInfo/si:Clearance/text()
  </AttributeValue>
</AttributeSelector>

Such an approach will unify the both cases. Further this will allow for many
other things (think e.g. of the discussion on Selector(condad(resource-id,
/anyOffset))

2:
out of curiosity. What is the advantage to split the semantic of the
selector's pointer in two parts?
Currently the source nodes are identified by:
a) the Category Attribute (sets the context node) and
b) the xpath expression under the RequestContextPath Attribute
Why is the context node not always the root node of the decision request
i.e. /Request?

Best regards
jan
PS: I have pretty busy times at the moment so I didn't have time yet to
review your proposal on the "running XPath in reverse" approach. I will try
to follow your thoughts asap.

Jan Herrmann
Dipl.-Inform., Dipl.-Geogr.

wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Technische Universität München
Institut für Informatik

Lehrstuhl für Angewandte Informatik / Kooperative Systeme

Boltzmannstr. 3
85748 Garching

Tel:      +49 (0)89 289-18692
Fax:     +49 (0)89 289-18657