Subject: [Fwd: Useful change to XACML Schema]

Dear List

In the EC TAS3 project we have a requirement to be able to dynamically
pass policies to PDPs, but the policies wont always be written in the
XACML language. e.g. we have a behavioural trust engine where the policy
language is written in SWI-Prolog. However we still want to use the
XACML request response context to pass the policy. We believe that a
simple addition of a new extension point to the PolicySet element will
allow alternative Policy formats to be included in the request. The way
to accomplish this can by adding an extension point to the xs:choice
element to allow any element in any Namespace to be added to the
request. The Specification should then make clear that the extension
point should only be used to define Policy related elements.

Modified PolicySet Schema:

<xs:complexType name="PolicySetType">
         <xs:sequence>
             <xs:element ref="xacml:Description" minOccurs="0"/>
             <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicySetDefaults" minOccurs="0"/>
             <xs:element ref="xacml:Target"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicySet"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:Policy"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicySetIdReference"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicyIdReference"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:CombinerParameters"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicyCombinerParameters"/>
                 <xs:element ref="xacml:PolicySetCombinerParameters"/>
      *           <!-- Extension Point for defining Authorisation
Policies in different namespaces -->
                 <xs:element ref="xs:any"/>*
             </xs:choice>
             <xs:element ref="xacml:Obligations" minOccurs="0"/>
         </xs:sequence>
         <xs:attribute name="PolicySetId" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
         <xs:attribute name="Version" type="xacml:VersionType"
default="1.0"/>
         <xs:attribute name="PolicyCombiningAlgId" type="xs:anyURI"
use="required"/>
     </xs:complexType>

Regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184