Subject: RE: [xacml] Proposal to clean up xpath

"Broken" is too strong a word.  I should say "extremely limited and overly complicated".

I'm afraid I must extend the discussion even further, to include consideration of the <Content> element.  Does <Content> belong under <Attributes>?  XML content is supplied by the PEP to the PDP because it is of some interest to the authorization decision.  "Some interest" means: 1) the PEP wants a decision regarding all or part of the XML content; or 2) the XML content contains information required for the decision; or 3) both of the preceding.

The goal is to have a request model, a policy model, and processing specifications to satisfy all these use cases.  Here are few points about each of these (more could certainly be added).

Request model:
    1. What does it mean to have Attributes[@Category = "foo"]/Content, vs. Attributes[@Category = "bar"]/Content?  Why not allow Request/Content (instead of, or in addition to, Attributes/Content)?
    2. How does the request specify particular items of interest in Content?  (What items of interest does the PEP want to indicate?  What does it expect the PDP to do with them?)
 3. (Multiple) How does the PEP request several authorization decisions with one request?

Policy model:
    1. How to allow full xpath functionality for testing XML content?  (Consider multiple Content elements in same request context.)
 2. Does xpath lack any capability for writing rules?  Only add XACML xpath functions to fill gap where xpath fails.

Processing specifications:
 1. Evaluation of AttributeSelector in targets and conditions.
 2. Expanding a multiple decision request into individual requests.
 3. Model must not require close coupling between PEP and PDP--that is, the minimum shared knowledge should be XACML attribute vocabulary and XML schemas of Content instances.  (Implementations are free to couple modules closely, but should not be required to.)
Regards,
--Paul

From: Erik Rissanen [mailto:erik@axiomatics.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 08:34
To: Tyson, Paul H
Cc: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

Paul,

If it is fundamentally broken, we should fix it, but dropping XPathCategory in favor of an xpath for the context node would break other things.

I understand that an offset xpath needs to be without XPathCategory since the context node is defined by the offset "concatenation" operation. We should perhaps differentiate between an absolute xpath (with XPathCategory) and a relative xpath for offsets/concatenation and make two distinct data types for them. And we might need a concatenation function which can work on these xpaths in order to handle all uses cases. But I don't know whether a fundamentally different approach would be necessary. (Maybe we just disagree on the meaning of the words "fundamentally different". :-))

Best regards,
Erik