Subject: Re: [xacml] Break the Glass policies

Hi David,

At the RSA 2008 Interop, we demonstrated an "emergency override"
capability that I believe is equivalent to BTG, and was even referred to
as BTG during requirements analysis. We did not require a new return
code, but simply implemented this as part of the policy definitions -
basically, a user requested access and was denied, then re-requested
access with a new Permission (HL7) provided in the request, which
enabled access.

The details are in section 2.2.4 of the document that may be found on
the XACML TC main page:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xacml#expository
The doc is described here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=28030&wg_abbrev=xacml
The zip file containing the doc is in this zip file:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/28030/XACML-20-RSA-Interop-Documents-V-01.zip

Based on that implementation of the capability I would like to
understand better the need for a "permission to BTG" response. In
particular, why not just return the "permission" as an Obligation to the
PEP to notify the user of this option?

    Thanks,
    Rich