Subject: Re: [xacml] Break the Glass policies

Hi Dilli

Dilli Dorai wrote:
> David,
> If I undesrstand you right, you want PEP to know at the end of first
> call that access is allowed for BTG scenario.

yes correct, because there are policy rules that say this.

> Is it not resolved if PDP sent Permit with an Obligation?

No, because as explained in Babak's and Erik's paper, you have to
differentiate between a genuine permit with or without obligations, and
a special (BTG) Permit with obligations for any user who has the same
attributes and is making the same request multiple times. I dont believe
you can do this with their paper.

In effect there are three classes of user

- those who are always permitted
- those who are not normally permitted but are in an emergency
- those who are always denied

It is quite simple to formulate rules for the above using a single
condition  for the middle case (IF Emergency/BTG is true). Once the
glass is broken the condition becomes true and the user always has
access until the glass is reset.

I dont believe you can do this using obligations

regards

David

> [...]
>>> wish to BTG and warning them that they will be held accountable for
>>> their actions if they decide to BTG. At real hospital trails in the
>>> main hospital in Porto, Portugal, where my PhD student works, results
>>> show that nearly 50% of doctors decided not to BTG when given the
>>> opportunity to do so. (The results are presented in our ACSAC paper
>>> along with the model). If the user decides to BTG then this grant is
>>> accompanied by a set of obligations which can perform audit, email
>>> the user's manager, reset the broken glass in 30 minutes etc at the
>>> wish of the policy writer. We have implemented a number of these
>>> obligations.
>>>
>>> Whilst a complete implementation requires a truly stateful PDP, we
>>> have implemented support for BTG (with some limitations) using Sun's
>>> XACML PDP with a stateful wrapper that holds the BTG state in an
>>> obligation object. (We will be writing a paper on this sometime in
>>> the New Year). Either way, the PEP is given an extra response,
>>> "permission to BTG" when it asks if the user can access a particular
>>> resource. The reason we have done it this way, rather than getting
>>> the PEP to make multiple calls to the PDP and hold the BTG state
>>> itself, is simple, it makes it trivial for any application to support
>>> BTG policies, which can be simply added to the access control
>>> policies of any stateful or stateless PDP (XACML or otherwise).
>>>
>>> So, after this very long introduction, my question to the group is
>>>
>>> Can we standardise the BTG response and add it to the XACML standard
>>> as  a new response in the response context.
>>>
>>> 1. Ideally I would like to create a fifth enumerated value for
>>> decision, called BTG
>>>
>>> 2. As a sort of hack, we could create a new Major status code called
>>> BTG, but this is a hack, status codes are optional and the response
>>> is neither grant or deny but is genuinely intermediate to these. It
>>> is not indeterminate or not-applicable either, so which decision
>>> would accompany this status code?
>>>
>>> 3. We can always invent our own minor status code and put BTG there
>>> without perturbing the XACML standard, but this is effectively the
>>> group saying we dont see a requirement for BTG policies.
>>>
>>> Comments please.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> *****************************************************************
>>> David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
>>> Professor of Information Systems Security
>>> The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
>>> Skype Name: davidwchadwick
>>> Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
>>> Fax +44 1227 762 811
>>> Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
>>> Email: D.W.Chadwick@kent.ac.uk
>>> Home Page: http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/dwc8/index.html
>>> Research Web site:
>>> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/groups/iss/index.html
>>> Entrust key validation string: MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

The Israeli group Breaking the Silence has just released a collection of
testimonies by Israeli soldiers that took part in the Gaza attack last
December and January. The testimonies expose significant gaps between
the official stances of the Israeli military and events on the ground.

See  http://www.shovrimshtika.org/news_item_e.asp?id=30

The Israeli government defies Obama, and continues its settlement expansion

Israel plans to allocate $250 million over the next two years for
settlements

http://www.palestinecampaign.org/index7b.asp?m_id=1&l1_id=4&l2_id=24&Content_ID=698

whilst simultaneously continuing to bulldoze Palestinian homes

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/t/9462/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=27357

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD