Subject: Re: [xacml] Break the Glass policies

Hi Seth

this is an interesting approach and one I had not considered before. But
I think it still has some flaws.

Firstly the PEP must operate by never sending this BTG attribute in its
first request context (otherwise it would be assuming that the user
always wants to BTG). If the response is grant or deny, end of story,
but if it is indeterminate it asks the user if she wants to BTG. If the
user says Yes, then the PEP passes the BTG attribute with the required
value and gets grant plus obligations.

Now here is the first problem with your method. The user makes a second
access request for the resource (say medical record) and now either the
whole process is repeated to the annoyance of the user, and the
duplication of obligation enforcement, or the intelligent PEP knows the
user has already BTGed once so does not need to do it again and the PEP
automatically sets the BTG attribute on the request context, whereupon
the obligations are returned again. Now should the PEP enforce the
obligations or ignore them?

Therefore, from the PEP's perspective it is not ideal for the following
reasons.

i) does a clever PEP anticipate that the attribute is needed and
therefore provide it, so that two calls are not needed?

ii) does a dumb PEP make the call, get indeterminate then make a second
call, to the repeated annoyance of the user.

If you have a BTG response and a BTG state, then the user only needs to
BTG once, the state is set and thereafter the accesses are granted with
no obligations until the state is reset.

regards

David

Seth Proctor wrote:

> FYI, the way I have implemented this in the past is by hitting a point
> in the policy evaluation where a well-known BTG attribute is required.
> This can only be supplied by the PEP, so the result is indeterminate and
> the accompanying detail is that this attribute was missing. This signals
> the PEP that it should prompt the user for whether or not they want to
> proceed.
>
> Personally, I like this style over a new kind of return value, since the
> first evaluation really isn't resulting in a decision. In other words,
> the result (to my mind at least) is that the PDP needs to know more
> before proceeding, which is what Indeterminate means. Hope this helps..
>

> seth

The Israeli group Breaking the Silence has just released a collection of
testimonies by Israeli soldiers that took part in the Gaza attack last
December and January. The testimonies expose significant gaps between
the official stances of the Israeli military and events on the ground.

See  http://www.shovrimshtika.org/news_item_e.asp?id=30

The Israeli government defies Obama, and continues its settlement expansion

Israel plans to allocate $250 million over the next two years for
settlements

http://www.palestinecampaign.org/index7b.asp?m_id=1&l1_id=4&l2_id=24&Content_ID=698

whilst simultaneously continuing to bulldoze Palestinian homes

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/t/9462/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=27357

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184