Subject: Re: [xacml] Proposed Agenda for 8 April 2010 TC Meeting

Hi Hal,

  Just to clarify a point or two - comments inline.

Regards,

Mary

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Harold Lockhart wrote:

> I beleive we will hve to redo the votes for PR and CS for Export, IPC and the core and profiles. The problem is that our specification of the designated cross references did not include all the information required by OASIS. Originally I was going to publish modified minutes from March 11 on the theory that there was agreement on the call and the minutes only needed to be made explicit. However, since some of the information was never discussed and we do have ameeting today I now think we should simply revote with more explicit motions.
>
> 1. I am assuming the CD votes from March 11 are ok. As I read the TC process, designated cross references can be added at any vote, including CD, PR, CS and OS. This means we will not have to modify the dates in the documents again.
>
> 2. Note that we should consider whether we actually want to use designated cross references. The advantage is that we get a cleaner final result with all the references updated to their final form. The disadvantege is that, acording to the TC Process:
>
> "Therefore, if a Specification Approval Motion includes proposed Designated Cross-Reference Changes, the effectiveness of the subject specification's approval will be delayed until the resolution of all other cross-referenced specification approval actions. The TC Administrator will withhold announcement and certification of the specification itself until all such cross-referenced resolutions are complete."
>
> My interpretation of this is that say for example, IPC has a designated cross reference to the core and specifies that OS is its expected approval status, then even if IPC completes all necessary steps to be a CS or OS, it will not be officially certified as such until the core becomes an OS. Does anyone else see a different interpretation of this text?

that is the correct interpretation.

> Note that we might make one decision about sdesignated cross references for the core and legacy profiles and a different one for John's work.
>
> The alternative to designated cross references is that we have to repeat earlier steps in the process, including possibly public reviews in order to updated the references.
>
> 3. If we are going to do the designated cross references, the motion must include:
>
> list of references
> mention of TC process section 2.19
> acknowledgement that approval may be delayed
>
> Each item in the list of references must include:
>
>    * the current name, version and revision number;
>    * the current URI
>    * the expected approval status; and
>    * the expected approval date of the cross-referenced specification.
>
> Unfortunately I think we need to discuss this on the call today and revote. The minutes will need to reflect all the decisions and the complete motions.
>
> For expected approval status, I suggest we say OASIS Standard. For expected approval date, I suggest August 2010. I know this is unrealistic, but as far as I can tell there is nothing binding about this date. Other suggestions are welcome.

What is binding is that if the core is not approved as an OASIS Standard by August 2010 the dependent spec(s) will become final without the cross-reference being updated (even if it has reached some other status)

> As a final note, the designated cross reference feature has been around for a while, but only recently have the details been enforced with rigor.

It has always been enforced since its inception; otherwise there is no way to update a reference post-approval without re-approving/updating.