Subject: RE: [xacml] XACML versions and ITU

Hal
We can submit 3.o to itu as an info and asking for review and feed back
We can do the same for errata on 2.0 and work on having it as approved one
This will allow itu to have a copy of know 2.o errata to be used by itu people

I can format the Export Compliance-US Profile and the Intellectual Property Control Profile into itu if need be

Regards
Abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hal.lockhart@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:34 AM
To: Jamie Clark; xacml@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Dee Schur; Robin Cover

Jamie,

I believe the XACML TC is quite willing and eager to share our completed work with ITU-T. As far as I am aware no one thinks there is a downside to doing this, other than the actual work involved.

As you note, only the XSPA Profile has reached the level of OASIS Standard. It should certainly be submitted to ITU-T. However, there is a slight complicating factor. As I understand it, XSPA is based on healthcare industry standards which are quite US-specific. I further understand that work is in progress to develop a more international version of the healthcare standards which in turn may eventually result in an altered form of the XSPA profile. I do not have any information on the venue or timeframe of this work. For more information on this, contact Mike Davis [Mike.Davis@va.gov] or David Staggs [David.Staggs@va.gov]. As a consequence, this profile may not be of as compelling interest to ITU-T as it might otherwise have been.

As you also noted, XACML 3.0 has reached CS. This represents the bulk of the work of the TC over the last 5 years. Some of the new functionality is quite complex a and as far as is known there is only one implementation in existence and perforce, no interoperability testing has been done. I would suggest that we share this work with ITU-T for informational purposes, but that it would be premature to cast it as an ITU-T recommendation.

There are two additional Profiles which have reached CS which are the Export Compliance-US Profile and the Intellectual Property Control Profile. Although we have not yet received any attestations of use, these Profiles are much simpler and more straightforward and we have more reason to have confidence in their essential correctness. Furthermore they are not dependant on any new features of the 3.0 specifications, but may be used with XACML 2.0 or earlier. Additionally, they represent a type of profile we are interested in encouraging, namely profiles of attributes and values in some application domain. The only downside is that the EC Profile is probably only of interest to people involved in export for the US. However, both are useful as models for future work. I would suggest we share these with ITU-T also.

Finally we come to the somewhat sore subject of Errata. Although there are a number of known Errata to XACML 2.0 and the TC has been maintaining an updated version of the 2.0 specifications, with the Errata applied, we have not been able to find a volunteer to create an Errata difference file suitable to vote as Approved Errata according to the TC Process. The relevant changes have been included in XACML 3.0, so I suppose eventually 2.0 Errata will become moot, but at the moment it is the basis of most implementations. In any event, 2.0 corresponds to the ITU-T recommendation. I have no suggestions for resolving this issue.

Hal