Subject: RE: [xacml] Combining Algorithms & the Hierarchical Resource profile

Rich,

If my example resources are file system directories, and the action is write, then I hope this is not the case. No OS should allow me to write in the root, but I certainly should be able to write in my home directory.

> A lot depends on how you construct the Policy. If you used ordered
> rule-combining then you could place either rule first to achieve
> whichever effect you preferred.

I guess. I'm not a big fan of rule ordering, though. It just seems fragile.

> The hierarchical profile is primarily about how to represent the nodes
> in a hierarchy and addresses a variety of common use cases. It builds
> on top of the Multiple profile and the core spec, so it is expected
> that one would use the node representations in that context.
>
> If there is another specific context that you have in mind, I would be
> interested to learn more about it. The use case you have described does
> not seem to me to have any particular motivation except trying to
> define some precedence order for applying the Rules which I do not
> quite understand.

I think that in many cases the precedence order follows quite naturally from the hierarchy, either top overrides as in your example, or bottom overrides as in mine. That's why I expected the Hierarchical Resource profile to define some CAs that implement such precedence.

Thanks,
Ray