Subject: RE: [xacml] Groups - IPC WD-06 uploaded

I appreciate John Tolbert’s effort on the IPC profile but I also agree with Paul Tyson that perhaps we should put this profile on hold. We are working with a set of customers that have IPC requirements and the result of that effort will yield our ability to more effectively provide feedback on the proposal profile. I am not suggesting starting from scratch. John has done a lot of good work. I am suggesting we wait until there’s more collective knowledge and experience and then take John’s work as the starting point and hopefully ratify the proposal quickly, perhaps in the second quarter of CY2012. My 2 cents…

Doron Grinstein  CEO  BiTKOO  818-985-4700 Ext. 31 www.bitkoo.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: LinkedIn Description: Description: Description: Description: Facebook Description: Description: Description: Description: Twitter

Schedule a meeting with me

From: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xacml@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Tyson, Paul H
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:39 AM
To: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

My overall satisfaction with this spec has not risen over the last several working drafts, even though some technical details have been improved and clarified.

I remain deeply suspicious about the utility of the attributes and attribute values defined herein, except for ip-owner, ip-agreement, and organizational-affiliation.  I don’t think there is a broad enough base of experience with real-world, complete XACML systems using non-trivial IPC policy sets.  I do not think this spec will enable and encourage such implementations.  It is far from clear what the best practices are in this area, but by publishing this spec we would be claiming to have discovered and standardized some features of “best practices”.  I’m not ready to do that.

Would the Boeing reps consider putting this profile on hold for several months while they develop a production-track XACML system that exercises all the essential features?  (Bell has already implemented IPC policies using attributes that correspond to ip-owner, ip-agreement, and organizational-affiliation, which is why I am less suspicious of those.)

If the TC wants to promote the profile substantially as it is, I would like my name to be removed from the editors list.  There are also several technical glitches in the examples, such as misspelled attribute ids, and attribute ids that were turned into attribute values by the latest WD.  Section 3 should list all the identifiers defined by the profile, including attribute ids, URI-valued attribute values, and obligation ids.

Regards,

--Paul