Subject: RE: IPC WD-07 feedback

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

For Item 2, I’m suggesting that we add to the normative text a definition of how the expiration-date should be used in date comparisons.

If we define the expiration-date as the first date on which the agreement is not valid (the exclusive upper bound of the agreement lifetime), then all policy implementations should test using <, not <=.  The legalese of “This agreement is valid from July 1, 2012 up to but not including January 1, 2013” would be unambiguously represented as effective-date=2012-07-01, expiration-date=2013-01-01.  Policies should consistently implement agreement validity tests as (effective-date <= current-date AND current-date < expiration-date)

We could instead define expiration-date to be the last date that the agreement is valid (inclusive upper bound of the agreement lifetime).

It doesn’t matter to me which one we choose, but I think we should specify one or the other to avoid variations in interpretation.

Effective-date is clearly inclusive, the first date that the agreement is valid.

For item #3, the XMLSchema#date definition (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#date) indicates that the date type does not include time values.

“A "date object" is an object with year, month, and day properties just like those of dateTime objects, plus an optional timezone-valued timezone property.”

We should use the XMLSchema#dateTime type to support agreement periods of less than a day and starting/ending at times other than midnight.

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Product Architect | | Quest Software - Now including the people and products of BiTKOO | www.quest.com