Subject: Re: [xacml] Suggestions for a JSON representation of the XACML request - JSON profile

On 05/17/2012 07:56 AM, David Brossard wrote:
Hi everyone,

Lots of great comments. Thanks. I will take them into account in the next flavor of the example I had written. The example given was indeed meant to be pseudo-code.

Fundamental points from our conversation so far:
(a) the JSON request/response should be a reflection of the XML version. One can translate in either direction without any loss
I agree.  JSON probably does not represent all the richness of xml.  But IMO we can probably get closer to what we have in the xml world in xacml.

(b) Use of constants vs. use of assumed (default) values: I still think assuming values is nicer. It makes creating requests by hand so much easier. It reduces the size of a request as well and increases readability.
I agree.  Reasonable defaults is the way to go in crafting requests.

(c) short attribute Ids vs. longer (fully qualified ones): Danny you say that shorter names would lead to possible clashes. But I have never run into that issue w/ customers who tend to live in a closed world where all attributes are clearly defined.

For the standard xacml attributes, short forms (that are normative) in the json world will be beneficial. Custom attributes will have to go the long form.

My example, in fact, should have skipped the datatype and the issuer (as Ray pointed out later).

I will get back to you w/ additional work in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, due to a prior commitment, I won't be able to attend today's call.

I can support you in this endeavor.  I have been meaning to try out the json representations of xacml.

Cheers,
David.