Subject: Re: [xacml] XACML & JSON - progress and ideas

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Danny Thorpe <Danny.Thorpe@quest.com> wrote:

I’m fine with not requiring a strict structural match between the XML schema and the JSON equivalents. We just have to be careful not to cut off future growth directions.

Agreed

For the case of Attribute+AttributeValue being reduced to a JSON Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: 35}, what about multi-value attributes?  An <Attribute> element can contain multiple <AttributeValue> elements.  Would that become Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: {35, 36, 37}}?

Yes it would. It is quite natural to do so in JSON. But actually it would be an array so square brackets [] not curly {} i.e.
Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: [35, 36, 37]}

Also, the <AttributeValue>s within an <Attribute> are not required to all be the same data type.  The JSON syntax above can distinguish number and string, but beyond that things get a little blurry.  What would the JSON equivalent of this look like?

<Attribute  AttributeId = “blah” IncludeInResult=”false”>

  <AttributeValue DataType=”…integer”>35</AttributeValue>

  <AttributeValue DataType=”…string”>Jefferson</AttributeValue>

  <AttributeValue DataType=”…rfc822Name”>george@cleaners.com</AttributeValue>

  <AttributeValue DataType=”…X500Name”>CN=George,O=foo</AttributeValue>

</Attribute>

This would look like
Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: 35}
Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: "Jefferson"}
Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: "george@cleaners.com","type="...rfc822Name"}
Attribute{“id”: “blah”, “value”: " CN=George,O=foo ",type="...X500Name"}

I had to specify the data type of the last two ones because there is no easy way to guess it's a string or a strongly typed value.

XACML to _javascript_ type mapping sounds fine.  Things could get a little loosey-goosey with numerics (Is it a float? Is it an int?  It depends!) but _javascript_ devs are used to that.  If in doubt, include the data type explicitly.  Ecma may have already mapped the _javascript_ built-in types to RFP definitions, so hopefully alignment with XACML will be easy.

Yes, I agree some cases are loosey-goosey. We can warn users from assuming default datatypes when in doubt.

Thanks for all your pointers Danny.

Cheers,
David.

-Danny