Subject: Re: [xacml] Xacml 3.0 namespace unchanged

Danny,

It means that the schema file has not changed since wd-17. Also, we don't change the namespace when promote the status up toward OASIS standard either because making such changes in the technical content is needless and has the potential to cause errors.

However, there are changes in the core spec since wd-17, so the behavior of functions, etc, has changed. At some point we even changed the interpretation of the target element, but I don't recall whether that was before or after wd-17. So just because an implementation complies with the old wd-17 spec draft, does not mean that it will comply with the current draft, even if the schema syntax has not changed.

Best regards,
Erik

On 2012-11-02 00:45, Danny Thorpe wrote:

Per a question that came up in Wednesday’s call: The XACML 3.0 namespace in the XACML 3.0 Candidate OASIS specification 01 document is unchanged from working draft 17. The namespace is still “urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:core:schema:wd-17”.

This is good, in my opinion.

My interpretation of this is that implementations that were written to support the wd-17 schema and test for the wd-17 namespace will not need to be updated to test for a different namespace once the draft is adopted as an OASIS spec.

Is this interpretation correct?

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Authorization Architect

Dell | Identity & Access Management, Quest Software

Quest Software is now part of Dell.