Subject: Re: [xacml] Question on Combining Alg

Hi Allan,

In your example, at the beginning, it seems like policy set, and the 2 policies are all siblings but later on we understand the 2 policies are in fact children of the policy set.

Assuming the latter, we have a parent PolicySet PS1 which contains 2 children: P1, and P2:

  • PS1: deny-overrides
    • P1: deny-unless-permit
    • P2: deny-unless-permit
P1 can yield either Deny (which masks Indeterminate and NotApplicable) or Permit
P2 can yield either Deny (which masks Indeterminate and NotApplicable) or Permit

This means that PS1 will yield a Permit if and only if both P1 and P2 yield Permit. This is a neat way of implementing a "greedy permit" behavior - where all children policies should trigger, and all should return permit.

Any other combination will make PS1 return Deny.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
David.