Subject: IP Address comparisons

Per the conversation on IP Address comparisons in XACML on today’s call:

I also favor the /24 network mask notation.  The / notation supports defining subnets independent of octet byte boundaries, meaning you could use 192.168.2.0/23 to define a subnet that has 512 nodes and whose netmask is 255.255.254.0.  I don’t think wildcard syntax can represent such subnets, as it appears to be entirely octet oriented.

Topic change:

XACML core spec section A.2 Data Types describes the format of an IPv4 IPAddress as:

ipAddress = address [ "/" mask ] [ ":" [ portrange ] ]

Where is the syntax of portrange defined?  I couldn’t find anything on port ranges in the cited RFC 2396.

-Danny

Danny Thorpe

Authorization Architect

Dell | Identity & Access Management, Quest Software

Quest Software is now part of Dell.