Subject: RE: [xacml] Important - Immediate action required

First, thanks for voting "Yes" anyway.

The reason has to do with history. The document was written at the end of 2012 based on our submissions that year.

Yesterday when I went to edit it I had to decide what to do with that text. In my own view, which is based on the history of 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 I do not really consider REST, JSON, IPC or EC to be part of 3.0. My first reaction was to remove the mention of IPC and EC, but I was reluctant for political reasons to remove any of the existing text, unless it was incorrect. The alternative was to go thru all the current work in various stages of completion and decide which Profiles to list and which not to. Instead I decided to leave that section alone in the interests of expediency.

In the long run this should not matter. What the TC needs to do is to bring the new profiles to the OASIS Standard level as soon as we can and then they will be blessed as ITU-T recommendations. The document under discussion is non-normative and simply intended as a teaser to those who are familiar with 2.0 and wonder what 3.0 is about.

I also realize that my notion of XACML 3.0 is now somewhat obsolete. It made sense when we treated the core and all the infrastructure Profiles as a single OASIS Standard, but makes less sense with each document progressing on its own track. Going forward the important distinction is likely to between vertical Profiles, which pertain only to a particular domain and horizontal Profiles which apply broadly to many access control situations. (Even that distinction may blur. The DLP & NAC Profile now contains modified datatypes and new functions.)

Hal