Subject: RE: [xacml] Re: Questions and notes on the JSON Interface specification

Interesting question.

1. NaN, -INF, +INF and -0 are definitely NOT Javascript specific. They are defined in IEEE 754.

2. For double, XACML core cites XML Schema Second Edition (2004). (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#double) XACML core also cites IEEE 754-1985. IEEE 754-1985 defines NaN, -INF, +INF, +0 and -0. Schema Second edition differs from IEEE 754-185 in that it defines all NaNs to be the same and -0 and +0 to be the same.

3. The current XML Schema is XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) 1.1. It cites IEEE 754-2008. Further schema now says that +0 = -0, but they are not identical. It also says that NaNs are not equal to each other. This aligns it with IEEE 754 (new and old).

I have not studied exactly where core depends on Schema and where it depends on IEE 754. But I have reached the following conclusions.

A. XACML PDPs should have been able to handle these values all along.

B. There is potential ambiguity as to the precise behavior required by XACML when using these values. (I sincerely hope nobody's policies depend on whether NaN = NaN.)

C. We should update the references to Schema and IEEE 754 while checking for changes which may impact XACML.

Hal