Subject: Re: [xacml] Groups - DLP-NAC profile uploaded

If the goal here is to make things as simple as possible then I suggest we simply limit it to the following for *ranges* (the use of the term "subnet" I think is the root of some of our confusion) and ports:

IpAddressRangeStart
IpAddressRangeEnd
IpPortRangeStart
IpPortRangeEnd

I suggest IpAddressRangeStart and IpAddressRangeEnd are mandatory, while IpPortRangeStart and IpPortRangeEnd are optional as a pair. The syntax is the same for ranges and single IPs ("range of 1").

Netmask is unknowable outside of the subnet local to the requesting device (even then it is only a decent assumption). One hop over a router and there is nothing to work with beyond IP address, port and previous hops (which requires a lookup). The netmask use case then pretty much distills down to code running on the machine bound to the network, evaluating other processes on that same machine. Maybe some can point to it, but I can't think of any other situation where the netmask is truly known.

Ranges on the other hand make perfect sense and are generally what you see in practice for things like webservers, etc.

Here are some examples of what I think will meet most of our needs. Netmask could always be added as an optional value should we determine there is a need for it.

Example 1 (range):

IpAddressRangeStart = 10.10.0.0
IpAddressRangeEnd = 10.10.10.255
IpPortRangeStart =
IpPortRangeEnd =

match: All addresses between and including 10.10.0.0 and 10.10.10.255. Port is not evaluated so ALL ports "match".

Example 2 (single IP):

IpAddressRangeStart = 10.10.0.1
IpAddressRangeEnd = 10.10.0.1
IpPortRangeStart =
IpPortRangeEnd =

match: only 10.0.0.1

Example 3 (range, with port):

IpAddressRangeStart = 10.10.0.0
IpAddressRangeEnd = 10.10.10.255
IpPortRangeStart = 8000
IpPortRangeEnd = 8000

match: All addresses between and including 10.10.0.0 and 10.10.10.255, using port 8000

Example 4 (range, with port INVALID):

IpAddressRangeStart = 10.10.0.0
IpAddressRangeEnd = 10.10.10.255
IpPortRangeStart = 8000
IpPortRangeEnd =

IF either port value is provided, BOTH must be stated. This is what I meant by "optional pair".

The mechanics for evaluating this are consistent and could be handled by a single matching function.