Subject: Re: [xacml] Ideas for New XACML Profiles

Steven--sounds like a good list of candidates for attention.

An initial comment on two of them:

Redaction: your description reminded me of the "query re-write" approach that I believe some vendors have implemented. If we think of the target resource as a result set from a structured database (vs a "document") and think in terms of a SQL query that generates that result-set, then a query like SELECT * from PASSENGERLIST might be modified by the PDP to SELECT * FROM PASSENGERLIST WHERE CITIZENSHIP EQ 'US' (since the requestor does not have attributes that allow access to records of non-US citizens.) I suppose the same type of thing might be done with an XML Query if a document were structured and portion-marked with resource attributes.

Separation of duties: Out of scope that we can address, perhaps, but someone has to consider the possibility of a person being able to acquire two different identities (subject identifiers.)  Also, can we assume that a situation that requires DSD also requires comprehensive access logging? So the access history should be available. More broadly, a DSD use case is also one where users are acting as legal agents for an organization (and not in their capacity as private citizen.)  Thus the perspective on privacy is reversed--from requirement to protect privacy of users' actions (as agents) to requirement for complete accountability. So probably the log is permanent and immutable (though still a protected resource itself, of course.) So, the magical context handler can look up the access history of a DSD resource set as an "environmental attribute."

Martin