Subject: Re: [xacml] Re: [xacml-users] 答复: [xacml-users] NIST releases a new publication on ABAC comparing XACML and NGAC

David--I can confirm this research has been going on for quite a while at NIST.

I haven't thoroughly reviewed the draft (it seems hard reading to me for some reason...) but I was struck by one point in the discussion of "Before the fact audit" in Sec 5.5, which concludes that:

    "Rule-based mechanisms, such as XACML, although able to combine policies, cannot do either [per-user or per-object before-the-fact audit] efficiently [7]. This is because determining an authorization for a subject to perform an action on a resource  can only be determined by issuing a request. In other words, there exists no method of determining the authorization state without testing all possible decision outcomes"

Actually, it seems that making a widget to perform per-object audits ought to be possible (and I haven't thought about per-user audits but I'll venture that's straightforward, too.)  To see what users could potentially access an object, it would only be necessary to collect the access tags on the object, then collect all XACML rules (on the PDP protecting the resource) that referenced those tags, and collect all the user attrib/values referenced by those rules. Assuming you had access to a user's collection of access attributes, that should let you determine PERMIT/DENY for that user. And if you had access to a directory-full of users and their attribs, you could identify all users in that set that could access that object. (And you could advertise the availability of the resource to them!)

Martin