Subject: RE: [xacml] Groups - xacml-3.0-time-proposal-wd-01 uploaded

Sounds good.

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Legg [mailto:steven.legg@viewds.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:28 PM
To: Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@oracle.com>; xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Hal,

On 10/11/2017 4:19 AM, Hal Lockhart wrote:
> Sorry it's taken me so long to make this comment. I see that "XPath and XQuery Functions and Operators" has been updated (more than once I gather) since the XACML time functions were defined. I haven't had time to look at the changes in detail.
>
> Have you analyzed whether the changes solve or interact with any of the problems you are trying to solve?

The definition for op:time-equal in 'XPath and XQuery Functions and Operators 3.1'
(the latest version) is equivalent to the definition for op:time-equal in 'XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators', 23 January 2007 (the specification referenced by the XACML core), so it doesn't significantly change anything and I could reference either version.

> Is it possible for the new functions to reference both the old and new versions of XXFO? If not, it seems to me preferable to cite the latest versions of the W3C XML specs.

Although I included the reference I'm not actually using it (yet). It would be odd to explicitly reference the newer version in the non-normative discussion around the issues with the existing XACML time-equal function, but right now the reference is to the XACML core, which references the older version for me. I think I should leave it that way. If I intentionally have an explicit non-normative reference to the older version then TC admin might miss the subtlety and 'helpfully' update it to the latest version.

I perhaps won't need a normative reference to 'XPath and XQuery Functions and Operators', in which case I will drop it. If I find a use for it I will update the reference to the latest version.

Regards,
Steven