Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] FW: Question with the XACML-REST namespace

Hi Hal,

On 19/09/2018 5:51 AM, Hal Lockhart wrote:
I need to hear from as many organizations as possible who are implementing the REST Profile. As you can see below, the current namespace is not in accord with Naming Directives. The question is: is it too late to change this?

This only affects the link relation reported by the entry point. Recall that we
made the entry point functionality optional because it was a vaguely specified
moving target that was unlikely to be interoperable between independent
implementations. Looking at some of the hits from the Google search I find that
for the most part they are implementations of an earlier draft of the REST
profile and so are not interoperable with respect to the latest draft anyway
(I wouldn't say non-conformant since my argument has been that implementing
anything for the entry point satisfies the conformance requirements).

The ViewDS implementation of the entry point also follows an earlier draft and
is still to be updated. I'm okay with revising the namespace at the same time
since it imposes no extra difficulty.

Regards,
Steven

If you are not comfortable answering publically for some reason, you can respond directly to the chairs.

Hal

*From:*Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
*Sent:* Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:58 PM
*To:* Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@oracle.com>; bill parducci <bill@parducci.net>
*Cc:* Paul Knight <paul.knight@oasis-open.org>
*Subject:* Question with the XACML-REST namespace

Hi Bill, hi Hal,

Paul came across the namespace for the XACML-REST specification yesterday and realized that it doesn't conform to the format in use.

The namespace is http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/xacml/relation <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__docs.oasis-2Dopen.org_ns_xacml_relation&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=6AnA6HsPbexOrQIxhTfLcU7sWoqWPDG6PxQCWHeutC0&m=SfTxzbB2Chhx1DIl7UZuB5JqdgCCx2oAajm7JWkoCLQ&s=ZjIf3HIMtZDLogDh_VzkjHTLUf5SKd7EgJMqRegKWO0&e=>. Per the Naming Directives, the form we'd use would be http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/ns/relation <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__docs.oasis-2Dopen.org_xacml_ns_relation&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=6AnA6HsPbexOrQIxhTfLcU7sWoqWPDG6PxQCWHeutC0&m=SfTxzbB2Chhx1DIl7UZuB5JqdgCCx2oAajm7JWkoCLQ&s=DtRy0dAXNU-ZO_WcHcQsedlK_WsNlxXo1KgekkaaMCg&e=>.

Paul noted however that the namespace appears to be in use in a lot of implementations. He did a search in Google for "ns/xacml/relation" and got 114 hits.

So we'll leave it as is unless you tell us that it doesn't matter. If changing it won't break anything, we'll update it. But if it cause headaches and work for your user community, then we'll leave it alone.

Can you just confirm to us either that we should leave it as is or that we can go ahead and change it, I'd appreciate it. We'll then have the issue documented for future publications.

Thanks much,

--

/chet

Looking forward to Borderless Cyber 2018 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__us18.borderlesscyber.org_en_&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=6AnA6HsPbexOrQIxhTfLcU7sWoqWPDG6PxQCWHeutC0&m=SfTxzbB2Chhx1DIl7UZuB5JqdgCCx2oAajm7JWkoCLQ&s=ZQJRkmCBwOWs3XkHrhbkw3Rh2Q-tncQsIR37s7yBopg&e=>,Â3-5 Oct, Washington, D.C.

/Organized by The World Bank, OASIS, and Georgetown University/

Chet Ensign
Chief Technical Community Steward
http://www.oasis-open.org <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.oasis-2Dopen.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=6AnA6HsPbexOrQIxhTfLcU7sWoqWPDG6PxQCWHeutC0&m=SfTxzbB2Chhx1DIl7UZuB5JqdgCCx2oAajm7JWkoCLQ&s=ysUhB42LzAo4KuC0I4JmrWtXOrdkJGppVAoyW5uWzF8&e=>

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393