Subject: Re: Why does PAM exist?

Steven -- Appreciate the follow-up and what you say makes sense.

Given the potential for damage by superuser accounts, it does seem like accountability is needed especially there.

What happens now seems like this is a case of the "experts" doing what they keep others from doing -- sort of like doctors who smoke tobacco.

I wonder also if part of the problem is that makers of infrastructure systems have never been pressed to provide the hooks necessary to implement fine-grained access to different admin functions, which would make role-based (duties-based) access easier for an IAM system to implement. Some (all?) PAM systems hack authorization by assigning admin users permissions to run specific executables, which has some value. But IAM (ABAC) systems like Axiomatics (and perhaps others) implement analogous strategies, using query re-write, for example, to limit access based on table metadata (cols) or content (cell values). Presumably they could do something similar for access to specific executables or combinations of executables and parameters.

In any case, to your point about over-provisioning of access to sysadmins: it seems a good deal of grief could be eliminated in sysadmins could be blocked from accessing business data in the clear. Presumably, only business types need to see that.  Â

In the (little bit of non-hands-on) research I've done on PAM offerings one glaring problem seemed to be that the authentication required to check out and use the superuser credentials was not itself particularly strong, i.e., it was password based. (Reminds me of pins protecting soft certs.)

As for the bootstrapping issue, I guess you can't have the IAM system protect the other systems until somebody installs the IAM system. But then that goes for the PAM system, too.

At this point I am still inclined to believe that it would be a good idea for major "relying parties" (i.e. customers like governments and large corporations) to establish a goal being able to use one system and one set of policies to control admin-account access as well as "user" access to info resources and functions.

Again, thanks for the follow-up!

Martin