Subject: Re: [xcbf] X9.84 question - Representation of dates/times

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Phil Griffin wrote:

> As I stated in this thread, if the receiver preserves the
> encoding used in the signature process as sent, it does
> not even matter if the encoding is not canonical or that
> it is encoded correctly.
>
> But an LDAP thread recently reveals that the receiver often
> does not preserve the original encoding of DER objects, which
> can mask encoding errors that become apparent only when
> the receiver tries to encode again and the signature
> check fails.

I think that this is a bit different, Phil.  Given that RELAIVE-OID
is in use, any change to it between decoding and re-encoding would
be fundamental.  It would be exactly as if we had the likes of
"name   UTF8String,".  Although "Bancroft Scott" and "Bancroft Scott   "
are the same abstract values in a sense, we don't make rules for
applications to follow about what to do about trailing blanks.  Along
that line, we don't think of the possibility of trailing blanks as
a sender's option (though it is, in a sense), and we do think of any
decode/re-encode operation that adds or removes trailing blanks as
as a broken implementation.  In summary, I think that unless there are
transformations to/from GeneralizedTime, there is no need to specify
what should be done about trailing zeros in RELATIVE-OID.  Indeed,
specifying that the trailing zeros should be present or stripped for
RELATIVE-OID is a bad idea, IMHO, for we would be imposing rules which,
if broken, makes no difference, other than that a rule is being broken.
That is, such a rule, I think, would serve no useful purpose.

> > Note that there is a similar issue on the presence of known clear-text
> > producing security vulnberabilities for non-disclosure functions.  The
> > presence of such text at the encoding level is surely something we
> > (ASN.1) should and can avoid.  The presence of such text at the
> > application level is really outside our control.
>
> In terms of encoding, perhaps. But this specification is
> about an application, not a tool. So options may be viewed
> differently. As it happens, the text under discussion comes
> from X9.68, produced by the X9F1 Cryptographic Tools WG. The
> use there of "may" rather than "shall" is purposeful, as it
> leaves options open to a given protocol or application.
>
> We get to try to nail down as precisely as possible what
> will be rejected and what should pass.

After thinking this through, my take is that no change should be made
regarding may/shall in the text on the date-time field.

Bancroft