Subject: Re: [xcbf] Vendor Specific Formats

Ed Day wrote:

> If the goal is to get those in the BioAPI group to "buy-in" to this new
> standard, then I think the goal should not only be 100% backward
> compatibility, but ease-of-use as well.  My initial impression of the BioAPI
> document was that it was an easy-to-follow document and I had a relatively
> good understanding of the structure of the data.  When I then went to the
> ASN.1 document, I had a hard time relating what was in the BioAPI C
> structures to the ASN.1 specification.

Me too, and I was there when it was written. I
worked closely with folks involved in the BIR
design in trying to align it with the ASN.1 in
X9.84 and this should not be difficult for me.

I have argued that the most logical starting
point for the XCBF work is in making this mapping
easy to understand. And the experience that you
describe is why I have asked that XCBF produce
clear and simple text that shows how each of the
BioAPI structures maps to a specific ASN.1 type.

This is where I will start work on the document
for discussion next week.

> So it would seem to me like the suggestion to use record types like the
> following makes the most sense:

> It should be possible to create almost a one-to-one mapping of fields in the
> BioAPI structure to fields in an ASN.1 type.  This could be done at the
> beginning of the specification with all of the more complex stuff concerning
> information objects and the like pushed down to where it would of be out of
> the way of the casual reader.

I agree completely.

> The other advantage is ease-of-use.  Using an ASN.1 compiler, one could
> create the BIOAPI structure format directly from the ASN.1 source, making it
> possible to read a header directly into a variable of the generated header
> structure.  With a few more lines of code, one could then create the XML
> document corresponding to the BIR.

Actually, this mapping and the structures involved
make this simple enough to do by hand if you are
familiar enough with ASN.1 encoding rules. And some
of the cryptographic enhancements are just about as
simple and the processing requirements are the same
for DER as XML encodings.

> This is just my initial impression from looking through the information that
> is out there and I'm not sure what other factors are in play here.  Is there
> other data in X9.84 format that has to be integrated into this mix or are we
> basically starting from scratch?

I have an opportunity to feed minor adjustments
and additions needed to properly align the X9.84
ASN.1 as published in that standard into the X9F4
working group as errata to be considered for the
next release of that standard. I've been trying
there to garner support for publishing these in
a public portion of the X9 web site - I am still
working on this.

If you look at the places in our schema where my
initials appear, you can see what I've suggested
so far. But I will try to post an update to this
schema that has a little less impact on the X9.84
ASN.1 module, and which includes the missing CMS
module later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Phil