Subject: Re: [xcbf] [Fwd:I-DACTION:draft-nagpal-biometric-digital-signature-00.txt]

At 2002/05/16 16:01 +0100, John Larmouth wrote:
>This is quite interesting!  He admits it is not possible yet!

This proposal is very far from reality.  The probability of getting two
identical biometric samples from the same person are very low, for any
biometric technique, especially if the samples are captured by using
different hardware devices at different times.  Verification of samples
against templates is a statistical comparison, not a bit-wise exact
match:  Verification is considered successful when the captured sample and
the stored template are "similar enough" by some given criteria, not when
they are *identical*, as they will usually be different, bit-wise.

>But if
>biometric data gets used to automatically generate your private key,
>then quite clearly use of such data in protocol exchanges to recover
>certificates from a database absolutely requires the data to be
>encrypted, and probably in fact prevents such use.

X9.84 defines how to encrypt the biometric sample contained in a message,
which is useful even when the biometric sample is not used to build a
private key!  :-)

OSS Nokalva's biometrics toolkit will support all the techniques of
encryption, digital enveloping, digital signing, and MAC-based
authentication that are defined in X9.84.

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva