Subject: [xcbf] [Fwd: Re: Standard field for Finger Index]

FYI. The usual from the media I guess.
Not true perhaps, but illuminating.

Phil

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Standard field for Finger Index
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:43:19 -0400
From: "Henry J. Boitel" <boitel@MINDSPRING.COM>
To: BIOMETRICS@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Bob,

Here is a timely commentary relating to the wide promulgation of
standards
information It is from ZD Net, July 19, 2002:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-945108.html

Henry J. Boitel, Esq.
New York

Web services breeds teamwork
By Vivienne Fisher
ZDNet Australia
July 19, 2002, 8:53 AM PT

Two international standards bodies have teamed up on a forum
about Web
services, in a bid to clarify what's really going on.

Web services has been a hot topic among businesses this year.
Earlier this
month, analysts told ZDNet Australia that they saw security
issues as the
number one roadblock to the takeup of Web services.

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Organization for the
Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) have
decided to
organize a forum to try to educate users about the work both
standards
organizations have been doing.

In particular, W3C's Web foundation work on XML-SIG, XKMS, Xenc,
and its
model for Web services architecture and the security segment.
Also under
discussion will be OASIS's security-related technologies such as
SAML,
WS-Security, and standards for access control, provisioning,
biometrics and
digital rights.

Earlier this month it was announced that a Web services security
technical
committee was being formed. This followed IBM, Microsoft and VeriSign
agreeing to submit the latest version of the WS-Security
specification to
OASIS for development, a move industry analysts predicted as a
positive one
for the Web services arena.

Patrick Gannon, president and CEO at OASIS, said that there were
a number
of technical committees outside the core profile area, with most
of the
vendors involved in Web services having been long-standing
members of the
organization.

"At OASIS we're engaged in developing and promoting additional
specifications, which will be needed for the much broader Web
services
area," he said.

Gannon described it as "the ROI factor"--relevance, openess and
implementability. He said that this means that members work on
standards
that are relative to the needs of the marketplace, often within
relatively
short timeframes.

Bob La Quey wrote:

 > At 07:36 PM 7/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
 > >Responding to  Bob La Quey's inquiry:
 > >
 > >I think the references you are looking for are as follows:
 >
 > Thank you Henry,
 >
 > I had found a couple of those after writing. I also found this
 > http://oasis-open.org/committees/xcbf/information.htm
 >
 > and am digging into Phil Griffith's web site at
 > http://www.asn-1.com/ which has a list of useful resources
 >
 > I must say it is disappointing for someone raised on IETF RFCs
 > and the world of Open Source software to see the distribution of
 > such documents so much more confined to the inner circles of
 > what is a small community. But so it goes.
 >
 > Bob La Quey

 > The preceding was forwarded by the Biometric Consortium's
Electronic