Subject: Re: [xcbf] X9.84 Revision

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Phil Griffin wrote:

> Bancroft,
>
> I have not finished writing these yet. But the most
> current OID module is in the XCBF document in the
> private area of the XCBF site. It is almost
> certainly complete.

No, it has at least one syntax error (missing ::=). It would be good if
the modules were syntax checked using tools such as the free syntax
checker from OSS or France Telecom.

> The CMS module is in a bit of
> flux if you're using sophisticated tools. I've
> hand coded this stuff twice before and did again
> for my XCBF tools - I find that the encoding is
> not too complex and it is the cryptographic
> processing and key management that are most
> important.

It is good that it can be hand-coded, but it would be great if the syntax
were clean enough so that it can be verified by machine.

> Completion of the CMS module has been awaiting two
> events that I thought it best we coordinate with.
> One is the latest revision of the IETF SMIME RFC,
> and the other is the reballoting version of X9.73.
> It is desirable, long term, for these two standards
> and XCBF to all use the same identifier and type
> names for common types such as SignedData.
>
> SMIME is nearly through their review process. X9.73
> was changed to its final version last week in Redondo
> Beach. Over the next week or so, I'll try to complete
> the revision of our XCBF module and incorporate this
> into the XCBF document.
>
> So, are you voting to move ahead with the new X9.84?

I leave that to Alessandro to make that decision for OSS.

However, the ASN.1 spec that you have provided needs more work. I have
been struggling to get it to cleanly compile, cutting here, pasting there.
A real hassle.  I've given up until we have something more solid.

BTW, the XER encoding that you have at the bottom of x984.htm is invalid.
If you cut the encoding and paste it to a file named, say, x984.xml, then
use a basic XML syntax checker such as Internet Explorer to open the file
you will see that it contains syntax errors.

> I have had no intention of publishing every single
> type needed to compile the XCBF ASN.1. The likes of
> DomainCertificate and Certificate and such are not
> really ours to control.

I am not suggesting that you publish these.  However, if you reference the
types then it would help much if you were to precisely identify where the
types are defined so as to minimize the effort that everyone has to make
to try and get a complete set of definitions.  A set of URLs pointing to
the resources that define all directly and indirectly imported types would
be great.

> But I'm open to considering
> this, perhaps as annex materials. Note that I leave
> comments in the IMPORTS statements to tell readers
> where to find the appropriate modules.

I saw those.  They are no doubt very meaningful to you, but for me
they just tell me what to enter in google to start my hunt.  URLs
of some sort would be much better.

> For your compiler, I would suggest that you test by
> stubbing out missing types, using the likes of
>
>     Certificate ::= SEQUENCE {}
>     DomainCertificate ::= SEQUENCE {}

If only it were that simple.

Where is CBEFF-Formats defined?  I see that it is an information object
set of class "BIOMETRIC", but this class is locally defined.  Does the
module that defines CBEFF-Formats (i.e., X9-84-Identifiers) import
BIOMETRIC from this module (X9-84-Biometrics), or does it redefine this
class?

It is hard to tell if x984.htm is syntactically correct without a
complete ASN.1 schema.

Bancroft