Subject: Re: [xcbf] SignedData Attributes - DigitalSignature Attributes

Phil Griffin wrote:

> Then it appears that XER is not sufficient here.
>
> It should be possible to send meta data in the
> communication, as how would both sides know if
> '011000' were a three octet string or a six bit
> binary value.

No.  Both sides know because they have the same schema and encoding
instructions.

> This is what attributes are used
> for in XML.

There is much disagreement on what attributes are or should be used for
in XML.
Originally (in your time with ASN.1) we did indeed use an attribute to
identify the form of an encoding, and made the choice an encoder's
option.  We backed off that for very good reasons.

I suppose if you really wanted to (with VXER) you could have a CHOICE
{hex OCTET STRING, base64 [BASE64] OCTET STRING}.  But that would be
very dirty.

> I did not seek to disallow a BIT STRING signature
> from being carried or displayed as bits when I
> proposed that it also be allowed to carry this
> information as octets.

> And I would not wish to prohibit an application
> from carrying a certificate signed as an XML
> encoding as XML instead of as a base64 encoding.

Phil,

XCBF is a major user of XER and CXER and VXER, and we want to try to
meet your needs.  But please also recognise that if we are to approve an
XCBF document, we will be expecting it to be conformant to one of these
encoding rules.  You cannot just invent random XML instances
(encodings).

I for one will not be able to support an XML instance example in an XCBF
document that is not one of the XER encodings of the ASN.1 schema.

On the other-hand, as a major user of XER, if you make your real needs
clear, we will see what we can do to accommodate them.

John L