Subject: RE: [xcbf] SignedData Attributes - DigitalSignature Attributes

Phil, this was exactly my point.  Using an attribute for describing some
property of the element content is indeed reasonable and is common
practice, I agree.  Your example of "xml:lang" shows that.  In this
case, the *application* receives the data (the text string in some
natural language), and can process it according to the language
indicated in the attribute.

Using an attribute to tell the *decoder* how to decode a data item is an
entirely different thing. If a "format" attribute were used to carry
encoding information, the "format" attribute itself would not be part of
the abstract value, and the relationship between the XML document and
its infoset, and between the infoset and the abstract value, would
become less clean.

The situation becomes still more complex and confused in your last
example, where you use two attributes, one carrying information about
the *encoding* of the other.  There is no formal mechanism in XML 1.0
and in any schema language that can link two attributes in this way.
Please notice that the order of attributes is arbitrary and not
significant in XML, so your consideration about left-to-right processing
does not apply to this case.  But again, linking two attributes in this
manner is perfectly legal and I understand it may be common practice *if
the link is defined at the application level* rather than at the
encoding/decoding level.

Alessandro