Subject: Re: [xcbf] SignedData Attributes - DigitalSignature Attributes

John,

John Larmouth wrote:

> Hopefully all this stuff will be approved (at least by ITU-T) long
> before any OASIS work using it is approved.  But I agree that part of

X9.84:2002 will complete its revision review and ballot
long before January. Other than lack of inputs by its
members, there is no reason that XCBF could not be
completed in a month or so.

The last impediment to completion was how to reliably
perform encryption processing. The plan was to await
X9F defining a solution that we could adopt. This work
has now been completed.

> the problem here is that Phil is making assumptions about the form and
> direction of work in progress.

Not at all. I am looking at conforming to cXER for the
cryptographic payloads in X9.84 and XCBF. All else need
only be valid XML really, though basing as closely as
possible to XER would seem to be more simple.

But there have to date been NO inputs to the XCBF work
by the insiders developing the ASN.1 standards. If you
(collectively) really intend to influence XCBF and
X9.84 in any meaningful way, you will need to be
proactive.

These two standards have a shelf life that can be
easily overtaken by events. Personally, I intend to
either finish or be finished with both before the
end of the year.

Phil