Subject: [xcbf] Re: Biometric XML Standard (Web Services)

There is work just now started in this area in two
OASIS TCs, the XML Common Biometric Format (XCBF)
http://oasis-open.org/committees/xcbf/ TC and WSS, Web
Services Security http://oasis-open.org/committees/wss/
TC. I've already begun work defining a web service for
biometrics using WSDL and the XCBF schema. But the new
WSS seeks to define a generic web services security
mechanism.

Since this topic involves the data integrity, data privacy
and authentication of origin of biometrics information, it
will likely be coordinated by the Security Joint Committee
http://oasis-open.org/committees/security-jc/.

XCBF provides a common XML format for both BioAPI 1.1 and
the X9.84 Biometric Information Management and Security
standard, currently being revised by X9F4. The latest X9.84
schema is available at http://asn-1.com/x984index.html.

This revision, called X9.84:2002, has been adopted by the
OASIS XCBF group as the schema for their XML markup, and
tool kits are starting to emerge that support both compact
binary encodings of X9.84 messages and the XML representations
used in XCBF (http://asn-1.com/EncodeBiometricSyntaxSets.htm).

XCBF provides a means of securing biometric information
represented using XML. It provides a standard way to
secure both X9.84 BiometricObjects and BioAPI BIR. This
is done using XML versions of the familiar Cryptographic
Message Syntax types used today for secure email. The
X9.84:2002 revision adopts the XML cryptographic
processing defined in XCBF, and both XCBF and X9.84:2002
fully align with the fields in BioAPI 1.1 BIR.

Note that the BioAPI standard does not address many issues
that are addressed in the X9.84/XCBF data security standards.
It provides no mechanism or guidance for key management, no
algorithm independent mechanism for the identification of
cryptographic algorithms and associated parameters, and no
means for the identification and use of public key certificates,
to name just a few. In contrast, the X9.84 and XCBF standards
provide all of this.

Phil Griffin