Subject: [xcbf] comments from dr. paul Gerome, I.M. xcbf TC

dear Expert Colleagues of xcbf TC

I think we need to address issues of unimodal, bimodal and multimodal
biometrics, at the very core of an excellent revision so far.
Congratulations to editors!

may you pick-up a look in :
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt>

1st page is copied below:

<Network Working Group                                          R. Shirey
Request for Comments: 2828                        GTE / BBN Technologies
FYI: 36                                                         May 2000
Category: Informational

                       Internet Security Glossary

Status of this Memo

   This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
   not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
   memo is unlimited.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This Glossary (191 pages of definitions and 13 pages of references)
   provides abbreviations, explanations, and recommendations for use of
   information system security terminology. The intent is to improve the
   comprehensibility of writing that deals with Internet security,
   particularly Internet Standards documents (ISDs). To avoid confusion,
   ISDs should use the same term or definition whenever the same concept
   is mentioned. To improve international understanding, ISDs should use
   terms in their plainest, dictionary sense. ISDs should use terms
   established in standards documents and other well-founded
   publications and should avoid substituting private or newly made-up
   terms. ISDs should avoid terms that are proprietary or otherwise
   favor a particular vendor, or that create a bias toward a particular
   security technology or mechanism versus other, competing techniques
   that already exist or might be developed in the future.>

where the vendors, in a standard, to be mentioned, is not considered a very
smashing idea

so I am suggesting we take time during the Baltimore meeting to discuss
alternative options, as one taken in consideration by ITU-T/SG17/q10
"security" which take into account a neat Multimodal Model based on modal
interface types between bio item - the customer own body parts - and the
transducer/sensor type operating the capture of biometric sample

this enables us to have a more basic category model of biometric sample
types

I have prepared presentation for clarification of this aim and will present
if wished so

I am committed to help as much as possible to perfect the excellent work
done

yours sincerely

dr paul Gerome