Subject: Re: [xcbf] References

Ed,

You may recall that we agreed in Baltimore to add vXER control
statements to the ASN.1 module to affect the encoding of digital
certificates and CRLs, so that under DER these components would
be encoded in binary (as ususal), but under XER they would be
encoded as Base64 armored binary objects, making them text
objects when used within XML documents.

I added this reference to provide readers with a pointer of where to
obtain additional information on what we agreed.

Still your point is well taken. I have access to these documents via
the US TAG to ISO SC 6, the INCITS T3 working group. But so
far as I know, they have not yet been balloted. Not sure how this
should be handled, but I've copied Karl and John on this note to
draw their attention and help. John I believe is now the Rapporteur
for both ISO/IEC and ITU-T w.r.t. the ASN.1 standards. OASIS
has a communication process with ITU-T, and I believe that the
same is true for ISO SC 6.

As the OASIS Security Joint Committee (SJC) will soon consider
a proposal for OASIS security standards to be standardized under
the ITU-T process, it would seem reasonable for some set of those
working documents needed for referenced by OASIS standards
might be made available. But maybe this is not possible.

I've also CC'ed the Paul on this note as I believe that he owes us
the vXER statements or encoding control statements we need to
perfect the XCBF schema. As I recall, it was just to be a couple
of lines.

Phil

Ed Day wrote:
Is this document available to the general public yet?  In browsing the ITU-T
web site, I could not find it.  Please provide a link.  I will not vote to
accept the changes unless all referenced documents are available.

Regards,

Ed Day
Objective Systems, Inc.
REAL WORLD ASN.1 AND XML SOLUTIONS