Subject: Re: [xcbf] [Fwd: [xcbf-comment] XCBF 1.0 Has Confused Security WithPrivacy]

I do not believe that XCBF, X9.84, X.509 or any technical standard on data
security should attempt to specify, or reasonably hope to control the
behavior
or intentions of human beings.

No data security standard can possibly specify "how the information will
be used" or whether "authorized parties will use information" for good
or ill.

The use or abuse of information or the intentions or actions of individuals
can not be dictated by XCBF to any greater degree than we can control
whether water will be used to nourish or to drown.

And I do not agree with the assertion made by EPIC that "XCBF 1.0 does not
respect privacy". No evidence is given in the comment and no words appear in
XCBF that would support such a claim.

I read the EPIC note carefully again this morning. Then I went through
the XCBF
document to see what we had actually written about "privacy". Not much.
Lines
81-85 state:

"This standard defines cryptographic messages represented in XML markup for
the secure collection, distribution, and processing, of biometric
information. These
messages provide the means of achieving data integrity, authentication
of origin,
and privacy of biometric data in XML based systems and applications.
Mechanisms
and techniques are described for the secure transmission, storage, and
integrity and
privacy protection of biometric data."

We claim only that these messages are capable of protecting the privacy
of biometric
data. And I really think that this is about all we are capable of doing
in the XCBF TC.
And these words indicate that the XCBF work has not "Confused Security With
Privacy". XCBF only provides the means of achieving privacy, not a
guarantee.

We could make statements such as the UK comments below that express our
concerns
for protecting individuals from wrong doers. But such statements would
not change the
scope or any technical aspect of our work. I am opposed to changing the
scope in ways
that attempt to define what we do NOT cover - there would be no end to
this and I think
no useful purpose served.

I also disagree that the EPIC statement that the XCBF TC is the
appropriate forum for
"further research into implementing privacy safeguards within the
protocol". These are
matters that concern the use or abuse of the protocol and not the schema
definitions or
cryptographic processing defined in the XCBF standard. The
implementation of privacy
safeguards (say in WSS using XCBF) is a topic of  interest to me, but it
is out of scope
of our OASIS charter.

I do share the concerns voiced in the EPIC comment for the protection of
civil liberties,
the privacy rights of individuals, and the responsibilities of those
authorized to collect and
use biometric information. But these are matters largely of national and
international law,
public policy, ethics and perhaps even theology. I believe the public
interest would be
better served if  these concerns were addressed in a forum that had
members with
expertise in one or more of those areas, rather than exclusively in a
data security
technical committee with the limited scope, focus and membership of the
XCBF TC.

Phil