Subject: RE: [xcbf] XCBF Proposed CS - change control

I have two comments.

1) The text around line 1532 (see below) is unclear as to when and how
BASE-64 is to be used.  Since we have agreed that BASE-64 is NOT used in
the CXER-encoded messages being exchanged, the meaning of the phrase
"when represented using XML markup"  is unclear.  The text should also
explain when the binary data must be converted to/from BASE-64, possibly
by describing a conceptual procedure to be followed by implementations.

-----------------------------------
So the values in the certs and crls components of type OriginatorInfo
have been Base64 [20] armored to minimize their size when represented
using XML markup while preserving their original encodings. These signed
objects must be converted back to their binary  DER encodings before
they can be used.
-----------------------------------

2) The document says that CXER must be used to encode the values of the
ASN.1 types defined in this specification.  This also includes such
types as  SignedData, SignerInfo, PrivacyBlock, etc.  However, most of
the examples all over the document actually show BASIC-XER encodings -
the CXER examples are a very small minority.

This fact may cause many readers to wrongly assume that the format of
the messages being exchanged is the one showed in the numerous examples
all over the document  (with the possible exception of
security-sensitive data).

I believe that some clarification is needed, conveying the fact that the
actual encodings will be different from the format of the XML in the
examples.

Alessandro