Subject: Re: [xcbf] Interpretation of the CS under ballot

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Phillip H. Griffin wrote:

> Alessandro,
>
> By these remarks, you seem very confused. Please see below.

I too am confused.  I'm re-reading what you wrote below, and rereading the
XCBF document and I am not sure what is meant.

One interpretation of what you wrote can be seen in the response I just
sent - that the value is first encoded in Base64 then in HEX.  I assumed
that this is what you meant since throughout the document it says that the
encoding rules in use is XER, which implies that Base64 cannot be visible
without first decoding the value.

Another interpretation of what you wrote is that the value is encoded in
Base64 in lieu of HEX.  That is, the Base64 encoding is not wrapped in
HEX.  Is this the case?  If so, it contradicts what is said throughout the
XCBF document - that the values are encoded according to XER, for the
version of XER that the document claims to conform to does not support
Base64 encodings.

The document is in need of clarification on this point.

Bancroft