Subject: Re: [xcbf] Groups - XCBF XML Common Biometric Format CS April 3 2003.zipuploaded (fwd)

Phil,

I think we may be having unnecessary disagrements due to
misunderstandings, which I would like to get resolved.

I have no problems with mixing CXER and BASIC-XER, provided the types
involved are either in an
	OCTET STRING (CONTAINING ....  ENCODED BY .... )
or in an open type, and the spec clearly states (in the open type case),
the encoding to be used (in the OCTET STRING case tghe ENCODED BY gives it).

But CXER is actually a subset of BASIC-XER (it is just one of the
BASIC-XER encodings with all encoder's options removed, so if the whole
thing is encoded in CXER, the encoder is a conforming implementation of
the spec.  *** That is an important point for you to note in terms of
the number of implementations using the spec. ***

The problem actually comes back (surprise, surprise!) to the Base64
issue.  If we can eliminate that confusion, all is done.  At the end of
the day, Base64 (over Hex) reduces the bandwidth of the message by only
a few percent in most cases.  BASE64 encoding of octet strings, open
tupes, and character strings is a nice idea (both for bandwidth
reduction and, in the case of character strings, to allow characters
forbidden in XML - there the term "armoured" is appropriate), and indeed
we *are* standardising it, ***but it would be silly for XCBF to be held
up or founder just for that***.

As you have said before, there can always be a second version.
(Assuming we manage to get enough support to get the first version through!)

Phil, I want this to go forward.  But the actual "bits-on-the-line" must
be very clear, and cannot use Base64 (because of Ed's position) unless
we delay.

I say again, if we can get a clear spec that uses (current) standard
ASN.1 encoding rules, you will get a whole-hearted YES without comment
from me.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069