Subject: Re: ASN-1 - XCBF Liaison?

John,

This would be great stuff for an annex in version two, which
I hope to put underway shortly. If we had words like these and
a simple table of the controls and a brief defintion of what they
do and a pointer to the standard, we could reference this from
the body of the document where we need Base64 encoded
certificates.

But such an annex whould help to hook XCBF up better to
XSD based tools. It could provide greater flexibility for
applications developers.

Want to write this? You can protect your rights as owner of
your words as I have. Before I place anything is any standard
anymore, I first post the words on a web page somewhere on
my web site.

This is how I shared my writing between XCBF and X9.84. I
first put it on my web page, then paraphrased my own words
as I drafted text for these documents. I figure that each body
owns their version of the words and I still own mine as well.

For schema notation this approach was critical, as I could
not allow the schemas in the two documents to vary. They
had to be the same for them to interwork, but each standards
body had to have their own copyright. I got the idea from
our friend Richard, who spoke at length on copyright law to
the MoU Management Group, and privately in a subsequent
string of emails.

As if doing this technical work itself weren't hard enough.

Phil