Subject: Chair and Editorhould

Now that Phil has confirmed that he really *is* resigning, I believe we
need to think for a momenent about what we want from a new Chair and Editor.

I think the primary requirement for the Chair is someone who will take
full account of the views of the membership of the TC, and produce  the
technical direction needed for a consensus document to be produced with
zero NO votes (and will not ballot until that consensus is reasonably
well secured).

I am not going to critise Phil (OK, so I am!) but we have rushed into
too many votes before there was a consensus.

I believe the only real requirement for the Editor is someone that is
prepared to do the editing work, and understands that text has to be
unambiguous, and consistent with standards it references.  (The Chair
has to play a part in that as well, but the Editor should play a
controlling roll here.)

Knowledge of OASIS procedures is also very desirable for the Chair.
Less important for the Editor.  In neither case do I see technical
knowledge (except in broad terms) of the area as important. That should
be provided by the membership, and if Phil remains a member, he will
surely provide such input.  Both the Chair and Editor roles are
supportive and facilitating for the work - or should be.  (It would be
better for Phil and everyone else if Phil provided his technical input
as a member of the TC, not as the Chair and Editor.  But I do not need
to make that point, Phil has already resigned from both posts.)

As a purely personal view (and I have not spoken to Monica - sorry
Monica!), I think that Monica would fit ths spec for a Chair, if she is
willing to do it.  (I knmow she is involved in many other groups, and
may feel she does not have the time, but here involvement in other
related groups also very much strengthens here as a candidate for the
Chair.)

I have already nominated Paul Thorpe for the Editor post.  I am
absolutely sere he would do an excellent job, and would fully support
whoever is appointed as the Chair.

**** I am sure this is not the right way to do nominations in formal
terms, but consensus is better than formal procedures. ****  Comments
are invited.

I also believe that further meetings of the group before the new Chair
(and perhapas also the Editor) are appointed would nbot be a good idea -
other than to discuss the criteria we want for selecting a Chair and Editor.

Enough for now!!!!

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069