Subject: Re: [xcbf] ANSI X9.84:2003 Available

Title:

John Larmouth wrote:
References XCBF?  When that is not yet agreed?  You mean they are happy to reference an OASIS CS which is in dispute, and not an agreed CS or an OASIS Standard (which hopefully we will have very soon)?
The main OASIS web page links to the XCBF 1.0 CS.

The main XCBF page says that the "XCBF 1.0 Committee
Specification" exists, and that it has been through a public
review period.

The XCBF 1.0 CS has been widely publicized, distributed
world wide on the web, referenced in other standards, and
implemented.

The reference to XCBF in X9.84 was added months ago
when the ASN.1 schemas of both were carefully aligned,
and a common mapping from BioAPI BIR to XCBF was
agreed by X9F4 and the XCBF TC.

This reference and agreement were publicized on this list, as
it was the work of the XCBF TC which drove the X9.84
2003 revision.

Phil, I am not trying to be stroppy, but this unecessary haste to standardisation rather than technical consensus is **not** good.  Please do not hit the roof.  I am not trying to delay things.  But we DO need to get the technicalities right if this stuff is to have anything more than publicity value.
Consensus? Three OASIS members have already attested that
they can use the XCBF 1.0 CS as written. Others have working
code and some have deployed product. Your technicalities are
mere nits. I know that they are important to you, but they do not
prevent use or implementation of the CS.

Note that both BioAPI and CBEFF have undergone VERY considerable changes from the first CD to the second CD (particularly CBEFF, where the whole meaning of "optional" in the standard has
X9.84 and XCBF 1.0 CS do not reference these SC37 documents.
Instead, they reference the stable CBEFF 1.0 and the BioAPI US
national standard. Reliance on these references was outlined in our
XCBF charter over a year ago.

either been clarified or changed, depending on your view-point, and ASN.1 encodings have been added).  I do not think your X8.64 (or for that matter XCBF) text is compatible with the latest CBEFF CDs.

Standards are pogressing fairly well in these areas, but referencing old or iommature specifications helps no-one.
Not compatible? John, are you saying that you have been
working to amend documents that XCBF relies on and not
reporting this information to the TC? Please make these
documents available.

If these documents can not be made available,  it would help
greatly if you could provide the TC with summary information.

This could help us in determining the technical direction for
any future versions of XCBF.

Phil

We need to get them all right.  (And consistent - and, I accept, in a timely manner.)

John L

Phillip H. Griffin wrote:
FYI.

This is a revision of the 2001 version of X9.84 which has
now been withdrawn, superseded by this 2003 version.
This 2003 version references XCBF, supports both BER
(DER) and XER encodings, and incorporates all of the
corrections identified by the XCBF TC needed to
properly map BioAPI BIR to X9.84.

This US national standard will be submitted to the ISO
TC68/SC2 Security subcommittee next month for ballot
as a NWI.

Phil Griffin