Subject: Re: [xcbf] XCBF 1.1 is an OASIS Standard! Congratulations! And whithernow???

I guess we need to discuss where or if we go on from here.  ISO/JTC1/SC37 is
progressing biometrics well, with a protocol for biometric access that is based
on a very early draft circulated on this list, and that will provide both binary
and XML encodings.

I think there is no mileage in trying to duplicate that work (unless we can be
much faster????).

What more work in this area would be appropriate and useful and would not
overlap the SC37 work?

Or is it time to say that the TC has done what it set out to do, and to either
fold, or simply to go dormant to react to any comments on the OASIS XCBF
Standard that might arise from implementation experience?

I think we all know that the OASIS work was based on an early draft of X9.84,
and is both superior to and inferior to the final X9.84 in different respects,
and that also X9.84 is being proposed as a base for work in ISO/JTC1/SC27.

Is there a niche for further work in OASIS, or not?  (I do not prejudge the
answer either way, just asking the question.)

I will give a partial answer:  OASIS is concerned about the use of XML
encodings, and the SC37 work in SC37/WG3 (the heart of biometrics) is defining
ad hoc binary formats for finger minutiae, iris images, etc etc.  We could
mirror that work with XML encodings derived from an ASN.1 definition of the
content.  It would be challenging but not impossible to produce ASN.1 that both
generated sensible XML and also generated the same binary formats that SC37 is
standardising.  Just a suggestion.  Not pushing it at all.

John L

jmessing wrote:

> congratulations to Tyky whose lobbying efforts made the vote in OASIS successful.

> From: Tyky Aichelen <tyky@us.ibm.com>
> Date:  Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:13:59 -0700
>

>>Hi Team,
>>
>>We did it  !  A job well done. Congratulations to all of you.
>>A thank-you also to our supporters and friends in OASIS.
>>Thank you, Karl.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Tyky Aichelen
>>OASIS XML Common Biometric Format  TC Chair
>>
>>----- Forwarded by Tyky Aichelen/San Jose/IBM on 09/02/2003 10:07 AM -----
>>
>>                     "Karl F. Best"
>>                     <karl.best@oasis-        To:       members@lists.oasis-open.org, tc-announce@lists.oasis-open.org
>>                     open.org>                cc:
>>                                              Subject:  [OASIS members] results of voting: SAML, WSRP, and XCBF
>>                     09/02/2003 06:34
>>                     AM
>>                     Please respond to
>>                     karl.best
>>

>>OASIS members:
>>
>>I am pleased to announce that the voting to approve SAML v1.1, WSRP
>>v1.0, and XCBF v1.1 has resulted in all three of these Committee
>>Specifications being approved as OASIS Standards.
>>
>>The three technical committees, the OASIS Security Services TC, OASIS
>>Web Services for Remote Portlets TC, and OASIS XML Common Biometric
>>Format TC, are to be congratulated on their work in developing and
>>approving these specifications.
>>
>>Thanks also to those OASIS members who reviewed the specifications and
>>cast ballots.
>>
>>The ballots and results of voting may be viewed at
>>http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballots.php?wg_abbrev=voting
>>
>>-Karl

>>the OASIS TC), go to
>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members/members/leave_workgroup.php
>>.

PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless
the subject contains the phrase "Hi John".

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069