xdi message

Subject: XDI/XRI Question

This is an edited version of an email thread from Bill. I haven’t had time to respond, but I’ll try to put something together this weekend unless someone else chimes in first.

Dave

Bill says:

Basically the scenario I'm seeing is that in some context, say a corporate intranet, instead of having multiple protocols and mechanisms for looking up info (databases, web, ldap for email) XRI's are used to access the information in a unified way.

For example with email...

The current way: I type a name in my email client, it looks up the address of my LDAP server, contacts the LDAP server, and fetches the email address mapped to that name.

The new way: I type a name in my email client, it converts the name into an XRI and resolves that XRI by

a) Contacting the corporations HR department, which runs the authority for the context employee identification, @pin, and getting the pin associated with the name by resolving xri:@pin.Bill which returns some sort of GUID. This is because there may be several Daves, and because if it was Ms. X who became Mrs. Y their GUID would remain the same

b) That GUID is then used within an XRI that is resolved by the IT department's authority for @email context.

I'm thinking the resolution would go like this?

    Original XRI:   xri:@epok.email.(@epok.pin.(=Dave))

               ->   xri:@epok.email.DavesGUID

               ->   mailto:dave.mcalpin@epok.net

A few other questions:

1) The xri form I'm looking for was something that could be put on a biz card and the email would be good even if you transferred jobs, assuming you updated a registry. Is there a form for that? I saw electronic business cards as one example use case, but has the syntax for that use been developed?

2) Is there a mechanism for reserving/querying a name within the = namespace, or is that part of what we are doing in XDI?

3) For the purpose of an email that follows you regardless of company or marital status would the following be better? xri:=DavesRegisteredGuid.email