xdi message

Subject: Tracking TC action items

Marc: thanks very much for posting the minutes and sending out this list of action items.

TC members: here’s the simple rule we’ll follow for tracking action items: if your name is next to an action item, it means that BEFORE THE ACTION ITEM DEADLINE (see below), you need to do ONE of the following:

a) If you complete a MAJOR ACTION ITEM (or any action item that others on the TC should know about), SEND MAIL to the TC list explicitly mentioning the action item in the subject line, e.g., “Finished Action Item: Investigate SSTC Liaison”. Then put your report in the body of the message. This creates a public record of the outcome and allows Marc, as Secretary, to monitor the list and check off each action item as it is completed.

b) If you complete a MINOR/PROCEDURAL ACTION ITEM that’s not worth posting to the list, SEND MAIL to Marc as Secretary (marc.lemaitre@cordance.net) letting him know to cross it off the list. (No need to copy Geoffrey or myself unless you think we need to know its done.)

c) If you CANNOT complete an action item by the deadline (see below), SEND MAIL to Marc, Geoffrey, and I explaining the holdup or conflict. Do this AS SOON AS YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CONFLICT so we have a chance to reassign it if necessary.

ACTION ITEM DEADLINES

The simple rule to follow here is that unless noted otherwise, the deadline for all action items is the NEXT OFFICIAL MEETING of the TC, i.e., the biweekly call. If the deadline is earlier or later than that, or action items have dependencies on each other, that will be noted in Marc’s minutes.

That said, an even better rule is DO IT RIGHT NOW. An action item done right after a TC meeting is worth twice as much as one done right before the next TC meeting ;-)

Other suggestions on good group action item management gladly accepted.

=Drummond