xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Groups - MINUTES OF XDI TC meeting 3-17-04 (unofficial).txt uploaded

Hi Gabe,

The problem that I proposed that the DataWeb framework should address is the
ability to query data, its linked attributes and relationships with other
identities that is marked up using XDI and linked using our link contracts.
the idea is that the results of the query need to be qualitatively and
quantitatively better and structured compared to a Google Search using
keywords across the logical, horizontal layer that the content web creates.

While explaining the problem, I had mentioned that SQL like query languages
work in the database world, and XML QL , XQL, RQL, OQL, etc. have been
proposed in the metadata world but all of them require that the person
making the queries understands the semantic, procedural and
schematic/physical structures of the metadata repository (just like SQL
queries requires the understanding of fields, tables, containers, etc and
features, properties of the queried data sources).

In the same context, I had mentioned that while CWM (Common Warehouse Model)
provides interoperability between different implementations of data
warehouses, it does not support a Query framework. In fact, the new
proposals in the RDF world such as Quilt and Metalog do not lend themselves
for use in the Enterprise World. In this RDF context, Dave McAlpin mentioned
the Closed Working Machine and drew parallels with XSLT.

So the proposal is to think about is the need in our DataWeb, which
abstracts the underlying data sources, for some higher level query
constructs to help users derive information and knowledge from the linked
data and metadata without having any semantic, procedural or structural
knowledge of the data sources. To be specific, we leave the data objects to
be managed and queried by the Data Source frameworks, the information about
the data objects (attributes and meta data) to be managed and queried by
metadata query languages such as XQL, RQL but we need to worry about how
Knowledge about the data objects (relationships) is managed, mediated
(governed) and queried in the DataWeb with the same ease and breadth as our
other constructs.

I hope this clarifies the issue/proposal. I will also be writing this up
before the official call but would like to get your feedback at this stage
if that is possible.

Cheers,

=Ajay